1729: The House of Ruinart was officially
founded, for a royal decree allowing champagne wines
to be transported in baskets containing 50 or 100 bottles
was only issued on 25th May 1728. Prior to that date,
wines had only been transported in wooden casks, this
obviously being impossible for wines which champanization
can only be realised in bootles.
The son of Nicolas Ruinart, brother of Dom Ruinart,
himself named Nicolas, thus opened the first account
book on 1st september 1729 with the following declaration,
« in the name of God and the Saint Virgin shall
this book be commenced ». This entry was to be
official act establishing the First Champagne House.
1769: Nicolas Ruinart turned over the firm’s
management to his son Claude Ruinart. Sales soared to
nearly 40.000 bottles.
1798: Irénée Ruinart, the son of Claude
Ruinart who headed the firm until 1826, displayed a
formidable ability to manage the house through the upheavals
of the Revolution, the Empire and the Restoration. Ruinart
became one of the leading champagne houses.
1826: Edmond Ruinart succeeded them for an especially
notable eight-year period during which he opened up
th U.S market. At the same time, he developed the russian
market, on which the first shipment dated from 1765.
1827: Edmond Ruinart sailed for American shores aboard
a three-masted immigrant ship, and left a colourful
description of his voyage which led him to the White
House and an introduction to president Jackson.
In 1860 his son, Edgar, ensured the same success on
the Russian market; during a long and extremely difficult
trip, he meticulously noted all his expenditure and
If the 18th century laid the foundation stones of the
House, the 19th century was to be marked by an outstanding
commercial expansion, and the 20th century by the communication
era. André Ruinart’s enthusiasm for the
new spirit of aviation led him to offer a prize of 12,500
gold francs for the first cross-channel flight. The
artist Mucha designed prints for the House to commemorate
Today their successors strive relentlessly to develop
and promote the brand name in order to perpetuate the
Ruinart “art de vivre”; to move with its
time and to be associated with the most prestigious
On the eve of the 3rd millennium, on the occasion of
the 270th anniversary of the House of Ruinart, the memory
of the great Benedictine monk Dom Ruinart was perpetuated
in September 1999 with the creation of his bronze statue,
which can now be admired in the courtyard of Champagne
Use the links below to view more information about
each champagne style.
de Ruinart Brut
de Ruinart Vintage 1998
Blanc de Blancs
Ruinart Rosé 1990